Today, I did something I’ve never done before. I made pesto.
I know, I know, it’s no great feat and it’s eaaaaaasy peeeaaaaasy to make but still, I’ve never done it before so i was a little over excited!
And because it’s a really really simple and easy thing to do, I made it with a teeny tiny twist and added another herb other than basil. Hold on to your hats!
Look see look how good it looks!
Here’s how I did it;
- 2 x 25g bags of fresh basil
- 1 x 25g bag of coriander
- 1 x 50g bag of grated parmesan
- 1 x 100g bag of pine kernels
- 1 small clove of garlic
- half a lemon
- salt & pepper
- a pinch of chilli flakes
- lay the pine kernels out on a baking tray and put in the oven at 180 degree for around seven minutes until some of them start to brown lightly
- once your kernels are ready take them out and leave them to cool
- remove the stalks from your herbs and chuck the leaves in to a food processor along with the parmesan and cooled pine kernels
- crush in the clove of garlic
- squeeze in the lemon
- and add your salt and pepper and your chilli flakes
- then whizz it up!
DONE! Easy right? And delicious too…I very much doubt I will ever go back to the store bought stuff now. I recommend you make your own too. Tonight I mixed it with some vegetables and a small amount of cream cheese before baking them under a Bolognese sauce with cheese on top. Tomorrow I shall find something different to do with the other half!