This little meal came about because I got some mince out for dinner…and then saw a pasta dish online with spinach that made me long for pasta! I ended up combining the two plus a few other bits in the fridge that needed using up to create this. I do love a good ragu! It was delicious, and not only bated my appetite for pasta, it warmed me up after I got drenched in a torrential downpour…
- 2 tbl sp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 red chili
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 12oz beef mince
- 12 oz fresh tomatoes
- Half of a 250g jar of red pesto
- 1 tsp mixed ground spice
- Salt & pepper
- 350g penne pasta
- 150ml double cream
- 1 250g bag of fresh spinach
- Heat your oil in a big heavy bottomed saucepan.
- Chop your onion, chili and garlic and add to the pan, stir and coat in the oil for 2 minutes.
- Add your mince and stir every minute until it is thoroughly cooked through.
- Roughly chop your tomatoes and add them to the pan, cooking for another five minutes.
- Add your pesto, mixed spice and salt & pepper and mix together well.
- Turn your sauce right down so it’s simmering low and put a lid on your pan.
- Leave this to cook while you boil your water for the pasta and cook your pasta as per the packet instructions.
- Two minutes before your pasta is ready to be drained, add the cream and the spinach to the sauce and stir until fully combined and your spinach has wilted.
- Drain the pasta and throw it into the big pan with your completed sauce.
- Stir well being sure all the pasta is completely covered and serve immediately with an extra sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper.