Don’t feel sorry for me…I make soups for my lunches all the time and they’re just for little old me! Besides, the title of this recipe is a little misleading, it actually makes two small portions so you can keep one in the fridge for tomorrow. The fact that I can fit all the ingredients for this little gem in one hand though means it’s for me and me alone. I tend to use the handful of food measurement a lot for soups otherwise I end up making enough to feed an army. Anyway, if you’re reaaaaally hungry I’m guessing this will only go so far as one.
- Small nob of butter
- 3 large cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 mild red chili, chopped
- 1 small red pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 2 large overly ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 10-12 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1 chicken stock cube
- Boiling water
- Salt & pepper
- The cooking time in this is hardly anything at all so prepare all your ingredients ahead of time so they’re ready to go.
- Melt your butter in a non stick pan over a medium to high heat.
- Add your onion, pepper, garlic and chili and fry for 5-7 mins until the onion starts to soften and go yellow. Stir occasionally to make sure nothing sticks.
- Add your freshly chopped tomatoes and turn the heat to medium.
- Allow them to soften and the skins to curl, cooking them for a further 5-7 mins. Stir here too so your garlic has a chance to flavour the tomatoes.
- Half way through that cooking time tear up your basil leaves and stir them in to the mix.
- Add boiling water from the kettle so all your ingredients are covered, plus a few millimetres more. The amount you add is dependent on the pan you’re using but you can’t go far wrong.
- Crumble in your chicken stock cube and mix it well to be sure it’s all dissolved.
- Turn the heat down low so it’s simmering and place a lid on your pan.
- Cook it this way for 10 more minutes giving it a stir half way through.
- Whizz up roughly with a hand blender and serve.
This was perfect for me today as I was feeling a little under the weather and didn’t want too much…the other half awaits me in the fridge!