I’m easing myself in to baking lightly by starting with this lazy way to make chocolate chip cupcakes. The recipe came from my friend Tracey in America whose sister made these for a party…I’ve kept the American input by using a Betty Crocker cake mix but have added an English twist with the confectionery that is thrown in at every opportunity. Not only are these lazy, they’re also very very naughty!
(makes 24 cupcakes)
For the cupcakes:
- 1 box of cake mix (I used marble cake but it can be anything you like)
- eggs & oil as per the cake mix you choose
- 2 large galaxy chocolate bars
- cupcake casings
For the icing:
- 150g icing sugar
- 6 tablespoons of chocolate Nesquik
- 125g softened butter
- 3 tbl spoons of evaporated milk
- 2 tbl spoons of melted galaxy chocolate
- 1 tsp of vanilla essence
- Make up the cake mix as descirbed. See, LAZY!
- Put one whole galaxy bar in to a bag and bash in to chunks with a rolling pin
- Add the crushed galaxy to your cake mix and fold in
- Spoon out evenly in to your cupcake cases (filling them about half way) and bake in the oven as instructed but minus approximately ten minutes. The best thing to do is keep an eye on them and test them with a knife. I baked mine for 25 mins.
- While the cakes are in the oven prepare the chocolate topping.
- Sift the icing sugar and chocolate Nesquik together and cream in to the butter gradually.
- When the mixture becomes too dry, add the evaporated milk bit by bit and keep mixing until all is combined.
- Melt down half of another large galaxy bar with a tiny bit of butter and add to the mixture with the vanilla essence.
- Put in to the fridge to cool for half an hour.
- When the cakes are cool smother the icing all over their tops and adorn with maltesers, mini eggs, any other kind of chocolate you like!
Delicious! These are also great for making and then decorating with kids as there is little fuss involved and you can save all the fun and mess for decorating them. I took half of my batch to go crazy with my niece and nephew with some great results!